Enjoying my exchange!

24th January 2014
 
Suffering is an option - Happiness is a choice!
 
I feel as if it is a long time ago since I wrote my last post... I am sorry about that!
The last time I wrote about an Irish Christmas and as you know after Christmas New Year is coming. I didn't do something special on New Year's Eve, we just watched television and had a small snack at midnight. I was really funny though because all my Swiss friends were already wishing me a Happy New Year at eleven o'clock.
Amy and I decided to go to Cork on the 1st January. I am not even joking only a few shop were open... we didn't know it was a bank holiday...
In my school holidays I met up with some of Amy's friends and we had a nice cup of coffee. I'm seriously going to be caffeine addicted!
I went to see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug but to be honest I didn't like it that much. It's probably because I didn't see Lord of the Rings or the first Hobbit. I have to say though I really enjoyed the soundtrack and the special effects.
On Monday I had to go back to school... I decided to make King's Cake (Dreikönigskuchen) just to feel like a traditional Swiss. We put a small plastic king into the cake and the aim is to get the king in your piece of bread. I thought I will put up a receipe because those cakes are unknown over here:
 
500g flour
1,5 tsp. of salt
3 tbsp. of sugar
8g yeast
Mix well!
60g butter, soft
zest of half a Lemon
4 tbsp. raisans ( I took chocolate chips instead)
3dl milk, warm
Knead for 10 min. Let the pastry raise for 2 hours.
1 egg
sliced almonds
Divide the pastry into 8 portions of 80g. Form small balls. Place a hazelnut or almond in one of the small balls. The pastry left is going to be the middle bit. It should be the biggest piece. Place the small balls neatly around the big piece and let raise again for 30 min. Coat the bread with yolk and put the sliced almonds on top of it.
Bake for 30 min in the lower part of the oven at 180°C.
 
After two weeks off school I finally had to go back... Unfortunately I got sick in the first week and had to stay at home for a few days. On the weekend I went to Cork and to the cinema to see Mandela: A long walk to freedom. I thought the film was brilliant even though I was a bit suspicious in the beginning.
The next weekend was Amy's birthday weekend. On Friday we went to Cork to go to the cinema (again!!). We went to see Delivery Man. Somehow we couldn't stop laughing... Afterwards we went to wagamamas. I love it! Here some pictures from Friday night:
 
 
 
Alex, Niamh and Camille
 
Emma, Amy, Ich, Camille, Niamh and Alex
 
On Saturday we went to Cork and in the evening Amy, I and two of her friends went out for a dinner. I think they waitress thought we were already 18 because they asked us if we wanted wine ;)
On Sunday we were bowling and we went out for the 3rd dinner this weekend. It was delicious though!
On Tuesday, two of Amy's nephews went ice-skating with us . My camera unfortunately ran out of batteries so I don't have any pictures... We went to Starbucks after for a small refreshment. I LOVE their coffee!! Because they opened for the first time this day we got a muffin for free!
The last few weeks I was horse riding as well. I have a small hint for people who are going to do an exchange next year: Do something frequently you like. It's the way to meet new people and to forget about your bad feelings!
That's it for the moment; thanks for reading!
Jana
 
 
 

Comments