Christmas time

20th December 2013
 
Hello
I thought I'm going to tell you about the differences about Christmas today.
1. It think the biggest difference is the date. In Switzerland, the big celebration including opening the presents occurs on Christmas Eve. Swiss children believe in Baby Jesus bringing their presents.
As far as I know Santa Claus is bringing the presents and they are opened Christmas morning in Ireland.
2. As I told you before the 6th of December is a special day in Switzerland, because St. Nikolaus brings small presents and chocolate. In Ireland the 6th of December is a normal day.
3. Advents calendars are as common as in Switzerland. The only difference: sorry lads but you can't call the Irish chocolate chocolate.
4. Stockings: We don't know them in Switzerland at all.
5. Unfortunately Christmas cookies aren't that common over here so I had to bake some for myself ;)
6. There are Christmas markets here! Probably not as big as the one of Basel but still :) We are going tonight so I promise I'll take some pictures.
7. Near to Cork there is an ice rink. To do some winter sports I just had to go. We took the nephew of Amy with us.
 
 
 
8. Lights in every colour are typical as well in Ireland. In Switzerland we have mostly only white/yellow lights. 
9. There's Christmas Radio FM as well. In my eyes these are the most famous Christmas songs this year:
 

Lily Allen - Somewhere only we know
Elmo & Patsy - Grandma got run over by a reindeer
 
Today two Christmas presents arrived and without joking I was nearly crying. Thanks very much!!
 
 Please excuse all my mistakes, but it's sometimes a bit difficult to write in another language than your first language...
 
Anyway thanks for reading!
Jana

Comments