Another country, different tradition

3rd October 2013
 
Hey guys
I thought today I tell you something about the cultural differences I recognised since I am here.
1. Left-hand traffic... I have to be really watchful when I cross a street so I don't walk into a car...
2. School uniform: It was unusual in the beginning but I am getting used to it. I am just worried one day I forget about my school uniform and wear my normal clothes for school...
3. 3 litre milk bottles: They are definitely too big. I spill milk all the time. How do you say: Don't cry about spilt milk.
4. Timetable: 4 hours in the morning (6 lessons) and 2 hours in the afternoon (3 lessons). We get a half day of Wednesday afternoon.
5. The trains use diesel.
6. I think bikes aren't invented yet in Cobh...
7. Irish people are very friendly and helpful.
8. Pubs and potatoes are everywhere.
9. Some Irish expressions: What's the craic (What's going on.), It's lashing (It's raining hardly), It's grand (It's fine)...
10. The weather: I think I have to tell you but at the moment it's raining all the time...
 
I went to a pub for the first time last weekend. My host parents went because they wanted to watch the hurling match there. Hurling is quite interesting and I must try it before I go home. It's on my to do list ;) Unfortunately Cork lost but the atmosphere was good!
 
I think hurling is the second fastest sport in the world.
 
On Sunday we went to the Micheltown Caves. Even though I don't like narrow places I could enjoy the caves. I wasn't allowed to take pictures therefor I took one of the internet:
 

 
After the caves I probably saw the whole sheep population of Ireland. We reached Cashel in the afternoon and Paddy and I went to visit Rock of Cashel, one of the most famous cashels here.
 

Rock of Cashel
 
The view
 
A celtic cross
 
Who is able to embrace the stone shouldn't suffer any toothache...
 
 
Because of Nan's birthday Amy baked a wonderful cake:
 

 
Hope you enjoy reading about my experiences in Ireland!
Jana
 


Comments