New everyday life

4th September 2013
 
I am in Ireland for nearly two weeks and I am still enjoying everything. Everything is new and exciting! My host family already showed me some really nice places. One of them is Fota Wildlife Park. Fota is the island next to Cobh and Fota Wildlife Park is a kind of zoo.
 
 
Fota Wildlife Park
 
Paula, an austrian exchange student and her host mother came with us. I don't like it that much but there are four other German speaking students in Cobh and also in my class. We are speaking Germand to each other which isn't really what we should do... I am getting on well with my host sister though and the good thing is, I have to speak English with her.
The first school day was last Wednesday. We only had to go in for an hour. It's quite unusual for me to wear a school uniform. A dark blue jumper, a light blue poloshirt, grey trousers or skirt have to be worn. Students who don't wear the correct uniform have to go home and get changed. Although the rules are tough students are friendly and teachers very patient. School times are really easy: School starts at 8.45 and ends at 15.45. We get an afternoon off every Wednesday as well.
We are really lucky because we are allowed to take part in Transition year activities. Therefor we could go to Blackwater Outdoor Activities on Monday. We could do archery and go on a rope course etc. I think the excursions with Transition year are a good opportunity to meet people.
I went to Camden Fort with my host family on Sunday. The weather was nice, the Fort a lovely place and I could take a lot of pictures. Camden Fort was a British base in the First World War. In these days it's a museum. The function of Camden Fort was to protect the harbour of Cobh, the second largest harbour in the world.
Cobh was the last harbour where the Titanic stopped and picked up people as well. I think therefor the whole story is still present here.
 
 
Cobh & Liner
 
 
The view from Camden Fort
 
Old Railway Station of Cobh
 
 
Thanks for reading!
Jana

Comments